Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Dream Big, Graduates!

I tried to think of something profound to say today, but it may be too presumptuous to assume that my short life experience is enough to impart any great wisdom. However, I will at least share with you something that I have learned. Wisdom is something of an enigma that cannot be achieved by the pursuit of knowledge alone. It comes from the lessons of trial and error coupled with determination, persistence and commitment. This idea can best be illustrated in the famous words of Thomas Edison when he said, “I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” Wisdom is a never-ending cycle of blending knowledge with life experience and lessons learned that are not soon forgotten. Ultimately, these things are the tools and materials we use to build our futures.

What is graduation? Some people would say that it’s proof of the freedom we will soon experience. Some say that it’s the end of the best years of our lives. Some would say that it’s when we’re forced to grow up and become independent. Some would say that it’s just another day, no different than any other day, other than the diplomas, the gorgeous outfits and the numerous round of applause. Some go into it silent, awaiting their chance to be recognized for their victory. Some use comparisons to describe it by saying that it’s like the opening of a new door or that it’s like taking another step on the never-ending ladder of life. Some praise it, some dread it. Everyone has a different opinion, but there’s one thing that we all agree on. There’s one question on the back of all our minds that we worry about every time we think about this very special day. And that question is: What’s next?

Graduating is a huge honor for me, simply because I’ve gotten the chance to accomplish something I never thought I would… and it’s because of individuals out there that said, “I’m not going to do things your way.” These individuals are the church and school administration, faculty members and staff, classmates and friends, and more importantly our parents. They have truly blazed their own trails and set an example for the rest of us. Without them choosing this path, we might be “normal,” and that’s a scary thought. It’s not always easy to do things your own way, but the payoff in the end sure is a lot more gratifying.

I’d like to share a quote with you all from a famous author by the name of T.S. Elliot, “Only those who risk going to far can possibly know how far one can go.” So from today on, always remember what these trailblazers have accomplished, but also remember to go out and blaze your own trails. This world is waiting for us, and it’s time to conquer it! A few months ago, I went to Baguio City with my friends. Our goal was to reach the tip of the mountain so we could see the beautiful view. The walk was exhausting and the heat drained our energy. As we were approaching the summit, through the treetops we could see the valley below. The sight at that point was truly impressive. One of my friends was satisfied with the view and suggested we turn back. Others insisted to keep going so we could make it to the top, but one of my friends decided not to continue. When we finally reached our destination, the panoramic view was breath-taking. The view from the summit gave us a 360 degree vantage point of the entire area, which was much more incredible than the limited view one of my friends had where he stopped. It was well worth the extra effort. What is the point of this story? Set your goals and never settle for less than what you can achieve!

As we leave our Alma Mater – New Era University, to go forward with our lives, we will each have our own mountains to climb. All of us will face different challenges and struggles. We all have the opportunity to set new goals and to achieve them. As we continue in life, we must remember that if we succeed, we must not be arrogant. If we fail, we must not give up. If we face adversity, we must trust that there is always a way through it. If we experience prosperity, we must never forget those who are not so fortunate. As graduates, we have already proven we can achieve important goals. Let’s go forward, set new goals and never settle for less than what we can achieve.

For once, we all look the same. We all have our black gowns, our hats and our tassels. But, even though we may look the same now, it is our differences that make us who we are. I believe that each one of us is valuable and has something worthwhile to contribute to society. When I first wrote this article, I wasn’t certain what I should say or how I should say it but I found this quote by Britta Fiksdal that, I feel, sums up my thoughts nicely: “Dream what you want to dream, go where you want to go, be what you want to be — because you only have one life and one chance to do all the things that you want to do.”

Congratulations Graduates of Class 2008! Glory to God!


NOTE: This article was published in New Era University's school paper - HUDYAT for our 2008 Graduation Issue when I was a News Editor back then.

No comments:

Post a Comment